Amazon.com via University of Washington Student Study
This Quantitative UX Research project’s overarching theme was to better understand customers who frequent browse-based shopping sites such as Wish.com and AliExpress.com
What are people’s goals and motivations for visiting these sites, and how are these reflected in their behaviors?
Users between 18-35 years of age that are also current users of Wish or AliExpress
Research and Analysis
Contextual Inquiry: Conducted 1 hour interview and research sessions with volunteer participants
Affinity Mapping: Data was categorized and grouped to find patterns
Data Encoding: Used to determine themes and patterns
- Low prices were the main reason people shopped at Aliexpress.com and Wish.com.
- When most people see an endless number of products that are inexpensive, even those with a tight budget are tempted to purchase.
- Both AliExpress.com and Wish.com displayed unpredictability in product availability, shipping time and quality, but people still shopped there because of the low prices.
- Users were distrustful of both Aliexpress.com and Wish.com, but the low prices made them try to overcome this by checking the product and seller reviews.
- Excitement of seeing something unknown is addictive, fun, and overall a positive experience that keeps many users on the sites
- Low prices compensated for the long shipping times and this got users to return to these websites